Here’s an informative article on water feature by Hidden Creek Landscaping.
Landscape water features give you a natural sanctuary providing a respite from the stresses of the day right inside your own backyard. There is a richness and diversity that water features produce as both people and nature respond to the refreshing and soothing qualities of moving water.
Whether it is a water fountain nestled among your flowers, a pool waterfall with underwater lighting as a focal point, a pond stocked with exotic fish, a stone waterfall, or spillways that feed into a meandering stream, we have ideas and tips for creating, planning and installing water features that cater to your specific desires.
Water has a Healing Effect
Why install a water feature? Well, listening to the sounds of flowing or trickling water, studies have shown, ranks among the same beneficial effects we glean from sleep or massage for their restorative, stress-relieving powers. Water features help relax mind, body and spirit. There are all manners of stone and pool waterfalls, stream designs, koi ponds, fountains and more from which to select your own personal landscape water features.
The options for backyard water features in Ohio are endless whether you are dealing with limited space or have a large spread of land. We specialize in scaling landscaping projects to add beautiful tranquility to your outdoor living space. Not sure what type of water feature you are looking for to enhance your lawn and garden? Here is our comparison of a few common types to give you a better understanding of will work for you in your garden:
For one of the most classic water features, it is hard to beat the allure of a pool. This will take a substantial initial investment, but will be a great source of entertainment and beauty for years to come. You can even spice them up with fountains or waterfalls for a natural, relaxing feature.
- Great source of entertainment for all ages
- Flexibility – the pool can be whatever size/shape/style you need it to be
- Increases the value of your home
- Able to be heated to use for longer time period during the year
- Great way to exercise
- Requires maintenance to keep the water clean and free of the accumulation of sticks, dirt, algae, etc.
- Initial excavation may require substantial digging and investment
- Not able to use all throughout the year
- May increase your insurance costs
If your available space is limited, a container pond is an impermanent and convenient alternative to an in-ground pool. You can convert just about any container into a container pond from glazed pots to a half-cut wine barrel to concrete bowls, all of which can be of any size. Whether the diameter is the same from top to bottom or the bowl is tapered, they typically have a wide opening, but even a 3-foot diameter allows enough space inside to add fish, aquatic grass, water lilies or other suitable plants for the perfect aesthetic touch. You can use a convenient plant support ring, which is a simple wire rack with openings that hold the plants in their containers just beneath the water’s surface. Now you are dealing with the equivalent of a fish tank to which you can add pumps and filters to keep the water clean and circulating.
- No need for digging or excavation
- Excellent choice for small spaces
- Container ponds are available as kits
- An inexpensive way to “get your feet wet” in the world of landscaping water features. Start with something small and graduate to bigger projects
- You may need to seal your container to prevent leakage
- The deeper the container, the more difficult it can be to keep clean
- You need to be cautious of the drowning risk posed when small children present
Wall fountains provide another alternative when space is an issue. These vertical water features offer the unexpected treat of a water aesthetic within the confines of compact spaces. They typically have a basin to catch and circulate the water with some wall fountains spilling directly into a container pond. Wall fountains use a pump requiring tubing or pipes that are invisibly set behind the fountain.
- Prime for small spaces
- Can be uniquely designed and installed
- Available as easy-to-assemble kits that are simple plug-in units
- Different sizes and shapes available
- Fountain flow is not adjustable without an adjustable valve
- Cost comparison between a kit and designing your own wall fountain is negligible
- Can increase humidity in the air
For your larger property, man-made streams present a way to incorporate natural pools and waterfalls while offering a feature that may sidle up to a walkway, providing a tranquil path for all who traverse the landscape.
- Lends to a more natural, informal design
- Adapts well to existing water features or to expand upon what you may already have in place
- Conducive to decorative plants, grasses and river rocks for a natural aesthetic
- Streams require a pump system and plumbing to route the flow of water from the pond or pool destination back to the start of the stream
- Longer streams just look better, which can involve a significant amount of digging
- The initial build can be costly
- Requires significant maintenance for the size and organic matter that can accumulate
Whatever landscape water features that you select, you should always install a pump to keep the water circulating. This helps detract still-water insects such as mosquitoes and wasps. If you do add fish and plants, make sure your pumps, filters and cleaners are up to the task. Anytime you install an outdoor landscape water feature that includes fish, expect to see other interested creatures appear on the scene such as frogs, raccoons and herons.
The pleasurable effects of landscape water features enhance the overall experience of your garden, whether enjoying a backyard party, a barbecue get-together or simply a private break all by yourself. You can make your yard a sanctuary, and the investment not only offers a calming presence at home, but it contributes to your property value as well.
If you are interested in learning more about custom landscape water features or how to winterize your existing features, our expert team of creative landscaping professionals can provide insight and in-depth knowledge of the many types of feature designs as well as the local Ohio terrain and trends. Contact us today to discuss your dream landscape and how we can bring your plans to fruition!